You always hear me talking about working out and how important it is for our health and it really is. Having said this, workouts are comprised of several different things and stretching is the very first and last thing you should when you workout. They should be an integral part of your workouts as they help avoid injury and have multiple other benefits.
I’m the first to admit that I don’t always stretch or when I do I don’t stretch long enough but I want to work on it so I think that these tips will help both you guys and myself so I’m going to share them here.
10 Stretching Tips
1. Warm up your muscles before stretching by walking or doing other gentle movements.
2. Start slow and stretch gently. Never stretch to the point of pain.
3. Breathe slowly and rhythmically as you stretch.
4. Use proper posture when stretching.
5. Slowly increase your stretch as you feel your muscles relax. Don’t bounce.
6. Hold each stretch for about 20-30 seconds.
7. Try stretching while talking on the phone reading an email pr doing chores.
8. Stretch with a buddy. Use each other for resistance, but be gentle.
9. Set reminders to stretch. Use your online calendar, phone or watch alarm.
10. Keep a copy of these stretching tips handy.
Happy Hump Day,