Today I present to you post #2 in my Clean Eating Series! I will share with you my hottest tips to help keep you on track. If you’ve missed the first post in the series, have a look here, it’ll be worth your time, I promise. In that post I go over the basics of Clean eating.
Clean Eating Tips to keep you on Track!
1. Food prep – Food prep is not for everyone, and I know this because I personally dislike it. The reason being that I usually don’t feel like eating what I prepped when the time comes. Having said this I think that this method is very effective for beginners until you get used to your new lifestyle.
2. Store Perimeter- This is probably one of the most useful tip. When you’re shopping for your groceries, try sticking to the perimeter on the store, this is where you find all of the healthiest things. Grocery stores usually place their produce, bread, milk, eggs & meat along the edge of the store. Having said this it’s obvious that you will need other food items that aren’t along the edge of the store and my tip for that is to bring a list and STICK TO IT!
3. Ingredients- When trying to decide if a food is clean or not ALWAYS look at the ingredients. The calories don’t mean much when it comes to clean eating. I usually follow this rule: If there are more than a handful of ingredients and I can’t read half of them that means my body won’t recognize what that is or know what to do with that “food”. PLUS if you eat clean, most things won’t even have a label with the nutritional information. Ex: fruits, veggies & meat don’t have a label.
4. Fill your plate with mostly veggies- Veggies provide a range of vital nutrients, they are also packed with fiber which will keep you fuller longer. To ensure that I eat plenty of veggies I try to stick to what I know I like and enjoy. I don’t tend to try too many new vegetables because for me sticking to what I know works best.
5. Shop Local – I know that shopping at your local fresh produce market can get pretty pricey. However, keep in mind that the farmers need to make some money to keep their farm going, also most of the times when you buy local the produce is a lot fresher cause it hasn’t been shipped half way across the world. The fruit is usually more ripe with a fresher taste. Last but not least, you are more likely to find organic or at least no use of pesticides when you shop at your local market!
6. Drink lots of water- This a no brainer and it needs no explanation, I simply put it here to remind you to go drink a big glass of that H2O!
7. Carry healthy snacks in your bag AT ALL TIMES- I say at all times because you just never know when you’ll get hungry and having snacks on hand will ensure that you avoid getting HANGRY as well as avoid fast food places or convenience stores.
Come back on Monday for the 3rd post in this series!