Can you believe it’s already Friday? Where has the time gone! I am back home from vacation now so I am getting settled back in at home. I mentioned last week that I need your help in deciding what Foodie Fridays is going to look like and NONE of you left me a comment, that makes me a little sad but I’ve picked up the pieces and I’m carrying on anyway! Since I have been away I have not had a chance to set out a proper layout for these posts but I promise I will be more organized come next Friday. For this week I’m going to share my top food related tips and tricks!
Tips & Tricks
1. Water, Water, Water – I’ve placed this first on purpose. It is imperative that you get an accurate amount of water into your tummy! Water helps you keep the weight off, it can help you stay fuller longer, it’s great for your skin, helps in digestion etc. Tip: always carry a bottle in your purse, reusable or disposable. The daily recommended water intake is 2L but like with everything else you have to adjust that depending on you and your level of activity etc.
2. Healthy Snacks – You will without a doubt want to snack a few times throughout the day, the important thing is that you have healthy snacks on hand when you need them most. I find that when I have things prepared, I am 95% less likely to eat something I shouldn’t. Have fruit, veggies & nuts at your finger tips. Just like water, you can easily bring snacks along with you wherever you go!
3. If the food has a longer shelf life than a few weeks, you need to pay close attention. The healthiest foods go bad, they rot and most of the time they need to be kept in the fridge. I am not saying that you should completely avoid canned foods etc, but be aware and try to incorporate more fresh foods into your diet. Less process is best!
4. Treats are okay – In fact, I think that they are needed. It would be impossible to forgo your favorite food for the rest of your life and it’s alright to treat yourself from time to time. I don’t mean, go off track and eat everything in sight for the next 24 hours, I mean go ahead have that delicious ice cream cone and then keep going on your merry way!
5. Grocery Shopping – Whilst grocery shopping, avoid aisles that have nothing but processed junk. I personally try to avoid the middle of the grocery store as much as possible. I don’t avoid it completely because I do need a few key things from those aisles. However, I find that most healthy food that I need is found along the perimeters of the store.
6. Make it yourself – You will reap tons of benefits by eating at home instead of going out. Going out to eat is fine from time to time but eating at home is where it’s at. If you think about it, it doesn’t take much longer to eat home as it does to go out. If you go out, you need to drive to the restaurant, wait to be served then wait for your food, than wait to pay and one dinner for two can cost you upwards of $40. Also, when you eat out you don’t always know exactly what goes into your food. If you eat at home you know exactly what you’re eating, it doesn’t cost much, and it’s just as fast!
There you have it, a few tips and tricks that I live by, I guess you could say. Make sure you come back in the coming days because I will be posting daily next week! If you liked this post, leave a comment below, share it with your friends, follow me on social media and don’t be shy to say hi!