We’ve all heard it before, you need to drink at least eight 8-ounce cups of water a day. Did you know that you should actually be drinking more than that? Did you know that men require more fluids than women? Did you know that ALL fluids count towards your daily intake but that water is without a doubt the most important fluid to drink?
The Institute of Medicine has determined that an adequate intake for men is roughly 3 litres (13 cups) of total liquids a day. The adequate intake for women is 2.2 litres (9 cups) of total beverages a day. Now that you know how much fluids on average you should be drinking daily, the biggest question of all is – How do I drink that much in a day? I know that for some people 3 litres is nothing and they do that on a regular basis like its part of their routine. For those of us that have a more difficult time reaching our intake here are a few tips and tricks that may help you!
Water Intake Tips & Tricks
1. Have a big glass of water at every transitional point of the day: when you first get up, just before leaving the house, when you sit down to work, before lunch, mid afternoon at snack time etc. I like to keep a bottle of water on my bedside table that way I can reach for it as soon as I open my eyes in the morning.
2. Get yourself a fancy reusable water bottle and keep it full throughout the day. If you work at a desk have it next to you at all times and eventually it will become second nature to reach for it.
3. Set a timer on your phone that goes off every hour or two to remind you to drink.
4. Make a chart and tick it off each time you drink a glass. If you keep up your chart for 30 days you will develop a new habit and it will become part of your routine!
5. Download an app on your phone that will help you keep track. A good app for this is “Waterlogged” and it’s available on both iPhone and Android devices.
6. Every time you use the restroom drink a glass of water to replenish your system.
7. Add fresh fruit to your bottle of water to give it a natural flavour. Try adding: strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cucumber, lemon, lime or whatever other fruit your enjoy. Keep refilling your water bottle throughout the day, keeping the fruit in.
8. Get yourself a jug and mark it off like this one:
9. Use a straw, it allows you to drink up quicker that just sipping your cup.
10. Always remember why you’re drinking all these fluids. Remind yourself of the important water is to your survival.
Drink up Buttercup!