With Halloween and The Winter Holidays just around the corner, there is no better time than to introduce my very own Soft & Fluffy Sugar Cookies! Sugar cookies are one of my favorites but only when they are a little soft and not rock hard so I set out to make the best sugar cookies that I’ve tried and I think I came pretty close! If you like a sugar cookie that taste like a sugar cookie but doesn’t leave you with a strong sugar aftertaste you’ll want to try these!
I have made them Halloween themed because Halloween is tomorrow but you can easily make these whatever you want with other cookie cutters and icing colors. I bought white icing and then dyed it green and orange. I used a chocolate chips for the ghost mouths and chocolate sprinkles for the eyes.
✓ ½ cup butter (room temperature)
✓ 1 cup of brown sugar
✓ 1 egg
✓ ½ tsp Vanilla
✓ ⅛ tsp lemon Extract
✓ 2 ¾ cups Flour
✓ ½ tsp baking powder
✓ ¾ tsp baking soda
✓ ¼ tsp salt
1. Set oven to 350
2. In a small bowl mix Butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until the mix is soft and fluffy.
3. Once butter and sugar and well mixed add 1 egg, vanilla & lemon extract, mixing on low until just blended.
4. In a large bowl whisk together: Flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
5. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix on medium speed until well blended. I found that the mix was too dry and didn’t stick together at the point so I slowly added milk while I was mixing everything until it was all blended together. Pour your milk slowly so that you don’t over do it. If you do use too much milk add a little flour until you get the right consistency.
6. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes so that the cookie dough hardens a bit.
7. Place flour on your counter, place dough on it and roll it out. Use your cookie cutters to shape the cookie and place on a greased baking sheet. Cookies will expand a little bit so don’t place them too close to each other.
8. Bake for 9 minutes, let cool down completely before icing.