I’ve recently gone vegan (this is not going to turn into an in your face vegan blog) which means that I’ve had to adjust my food intake accordingly. One of my favourite things to eat was pasta with meat so I took to Pinterest, as you do. I quickly found a recipe for Tofu Bolognese and I started cooking that instant. I had never made tofu “ground beef” before and was really intrigued by how it would taste.
Spoiler alert! It was fantastic! I made a few adjustments to the recipe and it turned out delicious. I’ve actually made it twice in the past week and I feel like i’ll probably make it again very soon. It’s very simple and hassle free and I guarantee that your whole family will like it, kids included. The texture of the tofu is pretty much the same as ground beef and once you mix it in the sauce it’s very hard to tell a difference.
I am also gluten free so I paired it with gluten free pasta and I had myself a delicious vegan dinner without having to give up any great tasting foods.
Tofu Bolognese Recipe
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 TBSP Soy Sauce
- 2 TBSP Nutritional Yeast
- 1 TSP Chili Powder
- 1 TSP Tumeric
- 1/2 TSP Garlic Powder
- 3/4 package of Tofu
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 jar of Tomato Sauce, I used Catelli Garden Select Garlic & Onion
- Mix all of the seasonings in a large bowl. The mix will form a brown texture.
- Drain the tofu, cut off 3/4 of it (put the remaining 1/4 back in the fridge) or you can use all of it for a thicker sauce, and crumble it with your fingers into the bowl with your mixture.
- Mix the tofu with the seasonings until all the tofu is coated, cover and place in the fridge while your oven is heating up.
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees
- Lay out your tofu blend on a lined cookie sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, stirring the tofu every so often. Keep an eye on it toward the end so it doesn’t burn. You want the tofu to be browned. The smaller pieces will be darker and that’s okay, it will add to the consistency.
- While your tofu is in the oven, sauté the mushrooms and onions (i just sautéed them with a bit of water)
- Once the mushrooms and onions have been sautéed add the tomato sauce to your pan, heat it up.
- Add the tofu to the sauce and simmer for a few minutes longer, until its all combined.
- Serve on top of pasta and enjoy!
10/10 would recommend for you to try this delicious Tofu Bolognese, you can easily customize it to what you like. You can use a different sauce base, different veggies or extra veggies! The world is your oyster my friends! But if you’re not one who likes to mess around with recipes this one is sure to satisfy.
Always remember, it’s Mind over Matter,